Initiated in 1908, but officially registered in 1909 – just 2 years after Lord Baden-Powell started the Scout Movement.
And so Scouting began in Farsley, with 1st Springfield & Broom Mills B P Scouts.
Their Registration Number was 140 and were the first mill-based Scout Troop to be recorded.
Scouting in Farsley closed down for the First World War, as many Leaders were called up to serve King and Country.
After the War many Scout Groups re-opened and Cub Packs were introduced.
In 1911 the Farsley & District Scout Association was set up. In 1920 Percy R Gaunt was appointed as President of the local Scout Association. Percy passed away in 1926. As a gift the Gaunt family ‘donated’ the use of Madge Hill (near Pateley Bridge) and it became our District Campsite.
With the outbreak of the Second World War, Scouts from Farsley helped the war effort by assisting the A.R.P. (Air Raid Patrol).
At one time there were 3 Scout Groups in Farsley but 1st Springfield & Broom Mills closed around 1953/4. 2nd Farsley & 3rd Farsley Groups amalgamated in 1969 and became known simply as Farsley Scout Group.
In 1971 Farsley District became Pudsey District. Pudsey District also ‘moved’ from West Yorkshire to Central Yorkshire County.
1987 saw the start of the Beaver Section in Farsley and in 1993/4 girls were accepted into all Sections of our Scout Group.
2000 saw the County reorganisation, and Pudsey District joined with South West Leeds to become West Leeds District.
Over the past three years Farsley Group has seen a rapid increase in youth membership. We now have two Beaver Colonies, two Cub Packs and two Scout Troops.
Current numbers are currently just short of 150 youngsters and 19 adult leaders, ably supported by a dedicated Group Executive Committee.